Hello. I’m a writer and editor. From 2011 to 2018, I was the Editor-in-Chief and Executive Editor of the online music magazine Pitchfork. Here’s some of my recent writing:
- I wrote about Sons of Kemet for the New York Times Magazine‘s annual music issue.
- For The Ringer I wrote a piece about the indie rock band Duster, with some thoughts about reissue culture, how cults around obscure music develop online, and the difficulty of finding information about music that emerged in the early days of the internet.
- I wrote the liner notes to the Superior Viaduct vinyl reissues of Alice Coltrane‘s four mid/late-1970s LPs for Warner Bros.
- I reviewed a very interesting compilation of ambient music from Japan for Pitchfork.
- Also for Pitchfork I wrote a Sunday Review of Tortoise’s album TNT.
- For the Wall Street Journal I reviewed the brilliant new Jessica Pratt album, Quiet Signs.
- Also for the WSJ I reviewed Jeff Tweedy’s solo album WARM.